.

This blog chronicles our ride across North America. We began on June 14th in Anacortes, Washington, and rode roughly 3400 miles to Portland, Maine, with breaks, over 37 days.


My name is Evan (26) and my father is Dave (60). This was his crazy idea.We have chosen to raise funds for an organization called the FHSSA, which has a new website here.


A donation page has been set up for our trip, on the National Hospice Foundation website

You all have helped us raise $2300 so far, so a big thanks.

If you want to know why we chose this fund, see THIS POST HERE.

If you want to be emailed updates, you can use the "Follow" gadget (on the right, below), as I won't be doing the weekly mass emails that some have come to expect from me. On the flipside, I'll avoid updating you on every cornfield we pass.




Sunday, June 13, 2010

[Title Pending]

Well here we go. Our ride to Anacortes will be here in an hour, so I'll soak up as much World Cup as I can as I update this. Once again, Mike and Allison are generously making the trek to the Anacortes possible.

We'll likely sleep at the Marina in Anacortes tonight, since it's close to our official start point at the docks and warm food is a quick hop from the gravel parking lot where our tents will go up.

Dave is already making some adjustments with needle and thread to his rain booties, and his bags are about 55-60 pounds (without water).

My gear is about the same weight, and I'm fretting over which novels to take. I've been collecting light editions of some classics over the past couple months from Capote, Marquez, Dosteovsky, Forster, Melville, McCarthy, et cetera. Although they all fit, I need to throw a few out.

I also loaded a few novels as PDFs onto my itouch, but I'm not confident my eyes will approve.

Our fundraising was up to $700 after the first week of emails went out, but I have some insider information that there will be a good jump when I get an update from FHSSA next week.

We've received a few offers of food and shelter along the way from family and friends (and even a generous offer from a member of the record trading website where I frequent), which is pretty exciting.

Dave had a hard, but worthwhile day with his brothers and parents yesterday, so there's a lot on our minds beyond the difficulty of this next week: The Cascades.

I guess I'll sign off and get a shower, since there won't be too many of them this summer.


Piles of Stuff (click photos for detail)

Elevation Guide for Week One:


See you in a few days.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! Too bad you'll be missing a good chunk of the world cup, but HEY, it'll be worth it. I'd say ditch as much as you can. Everything is replaceable. Have a great time and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Evan! Hope you have great weather and a safe ride with your Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon Voyage. Que vaya bien. Kiotsukete. Safe Journey.
    I'm so excited for you both. I slept on the dock at Anacortes long, long time ago. It's the best way to catch the ferry early in the morning and the fog lifting off the water is spectacular.
    Have a great time.
    Mary Naber, Spokane, WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone! yeah, the world cup is a bummer, and the weather is a mixed bag to say the least, but having an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete