.

This blog chronicles our ride across North America. We began on June 14th in Anacortes, Washington, and rode roughly 3400 miles to Portland, Maine, with breaks, over 37 days.


My name is Evan (26) and my father is Dave (60). This was his crazy idea.We have chosen to raise funds for an organization called the FHSSA, which has a new website here.


A donation page has been set up for our trip, on the National Hospice Foundation website

You all have helped us raise $2300 so far, so a big thanks.

If you want to know why we chose this fund, see THIS POST HERE.

If you want to be emailed updates, you can use the "Follow" gadget (on the right, below), as I won't be doing the weekly mass emails that some have come to expect from me. On the flipside, I'll avoid updating you on every cornfield we pass.




Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Let me begin..."

Day Zero: Anacortes, WA (Mile Zero)
I hadn't planned on saying much about the night before the trip. It should have been an easy drive north, a test drive of our stove and spam in the field beyond the marina, and a solid sleep. Seeing as my dad and I have few plans beyond 'go east, eat when hungry, drink
before thirsty,' the day was unexpectedly great.

With giant burritos from Malena's in Ballard churning in our guts, we drove up Mount Erie (south of Anacortes) to see one of the prettiest views you can quickly get to north of Seattle (without a passport). I'll skip the sentimental stuff I have with this particular mount right now, but I couldn't help thinking about the 2500ish miles between here and the Lake Erie canal I get to cruise alongside in a few weeks.

After unloading the bikes at the marina, we sat down on some grass wondering if the 'will return at seven' sign at the marina office meant tonight or tomorrow. Either way, we were eyeing a great (and apparently free) patch of growth next to a late 1800s steam dredger.
Within 30 seconds of my dad throwing his arms behind his head on the grass, a fellow named Brad rolled up on his fixed-gear, visibly excited about seeing our Surlys, and their ridiculous panniers. It was quickly obvious that Brad loves cycling, whether it be touring,
cyclocross, or tris, and his probing questions initially come off as "do you have any idea what you're doing?" but I was quite wrong about Brad.

Hmmm, I fear this drawing on a tad so I'll just fast forward to me setting up my sleeping bag on the captain's bed on the bridge of a $2,000,000 yacht with a pleased stomach of mango ceviche, feta sweet potato fries and one of the finer IPAs this side of India. Iţ was a night of great conversation covering how john deere motors end up propelling ocean-worthy yachts, why a good book and energy bar is all we need to carry and perhaps why owning 17 bikes might complicate your marital status.

Brad's generosity and excitement for living, cycling, and getting conversation going with his sailing buddies and girlfriend to support FHSSA was an early jolt that we didn't see coming. The best part: it wasn't even his boat, he was just getting it prepped for it's next
voyage.

Oh also, since a few of you will ask, I couldn't find any nautical afghans, as I kept my snooping to a minimum...

_______________________
Picture Time:

With Mike & Allison at Mt. Erie Lookout, Anacortes


With Brad, and our home for the night behind us.



Sleep like a captain:

No comments:

Post a Comment